Search This Blog

Monday, February 1, 2010

A Lesson in Bold



:click on images for links
Katharine Hepburn once said, "If you obey all the rules, you miss all the fun."
There is a fine line between tacky and bold. Today I wanted to focus on the sweet satisfaction and coy rush that a bold move gives us... Boldness is the visual push of an envelope...A clever mix of class, print, and color that creates tangible excitement in a space. So for a lesson on standing out the right way. I turn to mi abuela (see the end)...
This quick mash up of product and inspiration is dedicated to her...


I LOVE LOVE LOVE this settee by Horchow. Each stripe is an individually sewn strip of velvet . Max Azria's eccentric yet polished office featured in Metropolitan Home. I love the huge novelty shaped striped chair. The play of strong individual pieces that by themselves would be attention seekers, play off each other in a way that makes the room cohesive and oh so cool.


Salvador Dali's work was a study in bold, I recently went to the Dali Museum in Florida and found this piece:
The_Hallucinogenic_Toreador

I adore these Onomatopoeia rugs from designer behourz kohali !!!!!

Wisteria: the unexpected pairing of red with robins egg blue.xoxo

I saw this bench in ABC Home and Carpet I fell completely head over heels with it...

This is the great June Ambrose... another woman who can bend bold to fit any form she pleases. These shots are from an Essence Magazine shoot that ran in the May issue featuring the singer Estelle. I designed and built the slick set and Ambrose brought the gorgeous garb. Her use of color inspired my next covetous pick, the mouth watering Louboutin Talita Bag with brightly colored leather and studs....
(what girl doesn't love studs..they tap my good girl's inner dominatrix)




I love the airplane stamp ottoman and these carpet tiles by Flor. If one tile is soiled you simply pop off the individual tile, clean it, and drop it back in place, simple and easy.

I shot this with my phone in the subway a while ago. I walked by as they were mounting the mosaic I was got so psyched! The beatles, bird, and koi are so visually stunning in person the picture doesn't do it justice.

But before I go, here is my awesome Grandmother:
Abuela raised six kids, opened up her own bizcocho (cake making business) , all while looking good and knowing it. I have never seen her wear black, or gray or even tan. Her mix of bright colors and patterns in wardrobe and cakes, has always been her signature. At the young age of 60 she went to school and earned her degree in haute couture garment construction...The stuff this lady can pull of is amazing.
Needless to say i love this woman..and yes that is a poster of the legendary Menudo (click if you dare) on the wall.





OK purchase weigh in: I found this Neck/Hood/Cowl on Etsy.com and i think i love it, its definitely bold! So what do you guys think? it is a yes or a pass?




----Happy Hunting


2 comments:

  1. Seniorita Powers - Including me on this thread / blog / will require some - at least a smidgen.... of men,s topics . I mean a man would love to hear your thoughts on what would attract you to them !!! - Or I can take some coverage of my beloved house music mama - come on - fair and balanced blogging is what I need!!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. You know what mi amor you are right my next one will a clearly defined section for my homme boys

    ReplyDelete